Monday, July 03, 2006

Steve Yzerman Retires

Well a huge day for Red Wing fans. Steve Yzerman, who played here for 23 years, retired this afternoon. It's the end of an era. I grew up watching the Wings and Stevie play for 3/4's of my life and it will be very odd to watch the Wings without him on the ice.

He became a Wing back in 1983 when I was 11 and retires today when I am 34. Wow. That just blows my mind. I have so many fond memories of him and the Wings. The best was sneaking into Game 7 against the Blues in 96 (I think). We hung out in Standing Room Only (since we had no tickets) behind the Zamboni end net. Regulation ended in a 0-0 tie. By the start of the 2nd Overtime period we saw a few seats open up in the 10th row. We ran down and grabbed them and within 5 minutes Stevie was streaking down the right wing and took a shot flew past the goalie and we won! It was crazy. IT was amazing and one of many great Wings experiences I have had. (Was there for the record breaking 62nd win in a season, was in DC for their second cup).

Stevie will be missed by me and this city, but he did what he needed to do and I respect it. I am glad he got out now instead of playing well past his ability and looked foolish. He was one of the all time greatest NHL players to play the game and I am proud to have been able to enjoy watching all 23 seasons of his stellar career.

No comments: