Friday, August 18, 2006

Bikers Annoy Me

It's bad enough that all good US bikers(we are talking bicycles here, not Harleys) dope themselves up with stuff to make them win but the amateur one's at least in my area of the world tend to think they own the road over cars. Do you think you are a pedestrian and have the right of way? Sure hope you realize you don't before I run over your skull because you ignored the big red sign that says STOP!

On my way home from work I cut through a nice little subdivision that seems to have been modeled after some Jan Karon novel. They close half the street down every other Friday to have some large wholesome blockparty where families get together and enjoy each others recipes and child raising practices. On the off days everyone is walking their perfectly groomed dogs and jogging/running/bike riding to maintain their stellar bodies. It's just a little odd. But I am sure it is a great place to live. But the problem in that little utopian community is the fact that all the cyclists think they have the right of way and own the roads. You don't. You just don't. Cyclists are to obey the same traffic laws as motor vehicles. That means, Yield when you see a Yield sign and Stop when you see a Stop sign. I personally have almost killed 3 cyclists at one of the 4 way stops. I would stop, the car across who got there first would go and then I would proceed and zoooooom, a cyclists blows the stop sign to my left and just misses bashing in the front end of my nice car. If it wasn't for the damage that would be caused I would gladly run the bastards over. You have a stop sign. That means stop. It doesn't mean ignore all the cars and blast through. It also doesn't mean that you can ride your little huffy down the middle of the road at 15 mph. Move to the side or go 25.

I now just expect them to blast through so I watch out for them and give them their way. I make sure to give them a bit of a scare when I go pass them by revving my motor (which is loud thanks to my aftermarket exhaust set-up). It doesn't do much for me but maybe one day they will realize that they are being idiots.

So if you are a cyclist. Obey the traffic laws as you are expected to by law. It could save me an insurance claim on getting a new front end and you blood off my cars nice paint job.

No comments: